Sunday, January 31, 2010

What is this?

A coral? Magnified dust bunny? An alien? What could it be?






No, in fact, it's called a "romanesco cauliflower" or "romanesco broccoli." It is very much related to cauliflower and pretty much tastes like it too. Except for one important difference: it looks WAY cooler.

Finding this in the Bay Area must be difficult because I have never encountered it. I first tried it when I visited Napa (only 2 hours north), and have not seen it again until yesterday at the French Market in New Orleans. But if you can find this stuff, I have to suggest you try it. You can pretty much prepare it the same way you would broccoli or cauliflower. Steaming is preferred to boiling, or if you want to pluck off a few spears of this stuff and saute them that's alright too. Maybe I'll come up with a recipe to post, but, don't count on it. I am merely attempting to make this wondrous creature known to the general public. Or my handful of faithful readers. Whatever.

2 comments:

  1. :O

    That is both amazing and fantastic! Though I doubt I can find it in Canada. :( Blasted country with your lack of choices, /shakesfist.

    (p.s. your blog totally reminds me of http://www.orangette.blogspot.com, btw :)

    - Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. if it was in season, they always had this at the market or hippie stores in santa cruz. it's the prettiest!

    ReplyDelete