Monday, July 6, 2009

Laurel Canyon Dog Park

This is the closest dog park to our house, so we decided to take Darwin here last Friday. I have heard it is a pretty big dog park, but I must have overestimated its size in my head because it was smaller than I thought it would be. Really though, it was a pretty big dog park, with a lot of dogs. There were entire brigades of dog walkers there, herding packs of 30+ dogs! Who does that?? Do dogs ever get left behind? How can you possibly keep track of that many dogs when they aren't really yours? These people are serious professionals, and I was a little intimidated by their dog wrangling skills.

One thing I appreciated about this park that was noticeably different from my experience with San Francisco dog parks, was the lack of idiots and their aggressive mutts. I think during the hour and a half we were there, I may have seen one wussy dog fight. And not one crazy homeless drug addict with a ratty mongrel anywhere in sight! Maybe if we were closer to Santa Monica.


My worthless opinion aside, Darwin seemed to enjoy himself, despite the fact that he refused to stray too far from Michael's side. I do resent the fact that MY dog has taken more to my boyfriend in recent weeks. I maintain that it's because Michael lets Darwin jump up on him.







It was freakin' hot, but some dogs learned to cope.








Not Darwin though, who at this point in time is not a big fan of the water. He was perfectly content sitting next to Michael or occasionally running after a ball.



It all seemed pretty normal until Michael pointed out that one of the gentlemen across the park was a pretty big-name actor, although I haven't personally seen any of his movies. Shortly after, a woman approached the area we were sitting in. Her dog came up to me, and as I quickly fell in love with his sweetness, I hear the woman tell her friend that the dog I was petting was owned by an actress. Her friend says, "a known actress?" Her response was a chuckle before she says "oh yeah." As I sat there, petting some famous person's dog, looking at another famous actor with his dog and tall, tanned, blond girlfriend, I was reminded that I am indeed in Los Angeles now.

No comments:

Post a Comment