Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Pumpkin Bread

I don't have an introduction for this one. All I have to say is, I like pumpkin bread, which is why I created this recipe. I think I still like pumpkin pie better (refer to previous entry), but that is probably just because I can slather it in whipped cream. I read somewhere that the Native Americans are responsible for pumpkin bread, but that's probably a load of hogwash. And if it is correct, you know they probably didn't have access to sugar, so it was probably super gross anyway. So I think it goes without saying that my recipe is better than theirs.



Pumpkin Bread

1/2 tsp salt
3/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. granulated sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 c. canned pumpkin
1/4 c. honey
1/4 c. oil (vegetable or canola - and I like to add a splash of extra virgin olive oil to the amount)
1/4 c. milk
2 eggs; beaten
1/2 tsp fresh nutmeg (ground)
2 tsp cinnamon (ground)
1/4 tsp ginger (ground)
1/4 tsp clove (ground)
1 3/4 c. flour
3/4 c. walnuts; chopped

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl, beat together the salt, sugars, baking soda, pumpkin, honey, oil, milk, eggs, and spices.
3. Add the flour gradually and mix until just combined.
4. Fold in the chopped walnuts.
5. Pour the batter into a well greased loaf pan.
6. Bake 55-65 mins, or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center.




No comments:

Post a Comment