Thursday, August 13, 2009

Coraline.

I would say that, ever since we signed up for Blockbuster's online rental program, we watch at least three movies per week. Now that's not so bad, considering I have no money, and the boyfriend and I both worked hard to create a super rad home theater complete with projector and movie screen... and PS3, and a universal remote, and surround sound...

So a few days ago, we receive Coraline in the mail. "Hooray!" I thought. "An adult friendly children's movie, based on an award winning children's book." My dear friend Sydney saw the film in the theater and told me she was shocked at how terrifying it was. I assumed she was just being a big baby. The movie was based on a children's book, it had sweet little Dakota Fanning... I mean really. How scary could it possibly be?

But she was right! The whole movie is a beautifully animated nightmare. It's disturbing, creepy, and downright terrifying at times! Even Michael had to acknowledge that he was a little disturbed during some scenes. I could be wrong, but, I felt like this movie was marketed as a child friendly film, when it should have been marketed as a scary movie. Nobody in their right mind should allow a child younger than 12 or so to see this movie.

The story is creepy, the animation is creepy, the characters are creepy, their movement is creepy and their voices are creepy. Despite all the creepiness, the movie is beautiful though. Very colorful (most of the time) and beautifully animated. It was a deeply disturbing, moving work of art. Like a nightmare of a schizophrenic artist or something. Worth seeing, definitely, but only for people 12 and up.

No comments:

Post a Comment